This makes a great side dish that can go with almost anything. It's easy to throw together for a holiday potluck or to round out your Thanksgiving table. The roasted turnips are juicy and savory which is a great contrast to the sweetness of roasted apples.
- 2 smallish tart baking apples, cut into chunks
- slightly more turnips than apples, this is a difficult measure because turnips come in so many sizes, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into chunks
- cooking oil
- kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the oil in an oven-safe, stainless steel pan or enameled dutch oven.
- When the oil is nice and hot add the onions, give it a sprinkle of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for a little over a minute.
- Add the turnips, another little sprinkle of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for a couple more minutes.
- Add the apples, another little sprinkle of salt, and stir together, then put in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Check with a fork to make sure the turnips and apples are cooked through.
- That's it.