I get really excited about tomatoes, and I'll eat them every way I can when they are in season. I often think that the best ways are the simplest. Radical farmer Joel Salatin famously said "I love the pigness of the pig." This salad lets the tomato-ness of the tomato shine through and be celebrated.
- 6 small-ish ripe tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 10 small leaves fresh basil (If your basil has gone to flower that's great! Use the flowers, they are delicious and so pretty on a salad.)
- 1 tbs mirin
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- a pinch of coarse sea salt
- Grate the cucumber on the large holes of a box grater.
- Add the mirin and rice wine vinegar to the cucumber.
- Cut the tomatoes into eighths.
- Gently toss the tomatoes and basil with the cucumber dressing to fully coat.
- Arrange on a plate and sprinkle generously with coarse salt.