Below is a simplified recipe I use when making this dish. Original is available at Food52
- 1 bunch greens, about 10 cups loosely packed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten free works too)
- 1 or 2 eggs (I have made this with flax eggs as well!)
- Oil for frying
- Salt, to taste
- a few cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder or seeds
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or other crumbly cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil, onion (if using), and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned. Add any spices (garlic, cumin, paprika) and mix for 30 second.
- Add greens to pan and sauté for a minute or two, until they have wilted. Take off heat. Turn the mixture into a large bowl.
- Let greens cool for five minutes, then add the breadcrumbs and cheese (if using). Mix well, then taste for seasoning.
- Crack one egg into the bowl and mix with your hands to incorporate. Squeeze a small ball of the mixture. If it holds together, begin portioning out the remaining mixture into small balls. If it doesn't hold together, add another egg.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Let it get hot. Add balls to pan—they should sizzle when they hit the oil—then turn heat down to medium or medium-low. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Use a fork to flip the balls to the other side and cook for another 2 minutes or so. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Great with mustard, yogurt, or straight up!