You've probably noticed that we are experiencing an abundance of green beans/long beans, eggplant, and tomatoes at the farm. Such is the way of August in Georgia. We hope that you've had time to experiment and discovered some new favorites!
Summer Flatbread Pizza
PREP: 5 MINS COOK: 10 MINS TOTAL: 15 MINS
- olive oil or marinara
- a handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced
- bite sized fresh marinated mozzarella balls (about 6-8 per pita)
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow crooked neck squash, diced
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, orange or green), diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- crumbled Italian sausage, about 1 cup (optional)
- WHATEVER ELSE YOU THINK WOULD BE GOOD!
Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, bell pepper and tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes until cooked, then remove from heat. Alternatively, you can grill or roast the veggies.
Meanwhile, brush the tops of each flatbread with olive oil or marinara.. Top with basil. Sprinkle the flatbread with the cooked vegetables. Cut the mozzarella balls in half and sprinkle on top of the other toppings. Bake at 400 degrees, or grill, until the flatbread is slightly crispy and the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, cut into wedges and serve.