New Zealand Sweet Potato Chowder
adapted from The Daily Soup Cookbook, by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel et al
2 T unsalted butter
1 large spanish onion, chopped
1 T sugar
2 t dried thyme leaves
2 bay leaves
2 t kosher salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
6 cups basic vegetable stock
4 sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 yams, same as sweet potatoes
2 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced from the cob, about 1 cup
1 cup heavy cream
1 t minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh curly parsley
1. Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Â Add the
onion and sugar and caramelize for 10 minutes, until tender and
2. Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the onion.
3. Add the stock, sweet potatoes, yams, and corn and bring the
mixture to a boil. Â Reduce the heat, partially cover, and simmer for
20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
4. Stir in the heavy cream
5. Remove the bay leaves and puree about one quarter of the chowder
in a blender or a food processor until smooth.
6. Return the puree to the pot and stir in the garlic.
7. To serve, ladle the chowder into the bowls and top with the chopped parsley.
Makes 12 cups… yum!!