JOB OPPORTUNITY: EDUCATION & OUTREACH MANAGER
Full-time with benefits
Applications currently being considered.
Deadline: August 20th, 2017
The Education and Outreach Manager is responsible for managing Global Growers education and outreach program that serves aspiring, beginning, and advanced commercial farmers. The Manager will supervise a small team of farm educators who coordinate training and technical assistance at Global Growers’ incubator farm, as well as through statewide outreach and a new land access project.
The primary emphasis will be on the incubator farm program focused on land-based training for beginning farmers to accelerate farm business development. Statewide outreach is focused on technical assistance in food safety, business management, and market readiness for small and mid-sized vegetable farms, as well as coordinating services with other organizations and farmer groups. The land access project is a partnership with The Conservation Fund to connect landless farmers with lease-to-own land opportunities.
The position is based in Stone Mountain, GA, and reports to the Director of Programs.
The ideal candidate has excellent project and personnel management skills, along with experience in adult education. The candidate also has an understanding of the challenges and possibilities related to local food systems. They have an understanding of racial and social justice issues impacting Southern agriculture as well as experience working for equity of access and opportunity for all. The ideal candidate has experience working in multilingual spaces. The candidate should be able to motivate others to action and influence positive outcomes. They will be comfortable working independently and remotely as well as in a team environment. Most importantly, the candidate will believe in and feel connected to the mission of Global Growers and the idea that our food system can and should be democratized.
Anticipated Program Outcomes
- Farmers at the incubator farm and throughout Georgia make progress towards identified educational objectives related to business development and market access
- Education activities are managed with coherent planning, implementation tools, evaluation methods, and future strategy development
- Farmer outreach strategies are considerate of racial and social justice issues impacting Southern agriculture, and service delivery is culturally and linguistically appropriate
- Portfolio of farmer educational resources is curated and maintained
- Programs are compliant with grants, contracts, and funder requirements.
- Necessary program data is collected regularly, thoroughly and reliably for grant reporting, development use, and other agreed upon purposes.
- Consistent and productive supervision is provided to Education staff and interns
- Engage in recruitment, hiring, and onboarding as necessary, in conjunction with Director of Programs
- Activities are planned and implemented with appropriate collaboration with Community Development, Sales, and Farm Operations teams so that all activities have needed alignment, scaffolding, and resource management systems
- Program budget is developed and tracked with effective resource management systems and with monthly reports provided to Director of Programs
- At least two years experience in adult education
- At least two years experience in project management
- At least two years experience with personnel management
- Experience in food production, food distribution, on-farm work, or farmer services
- Experience working in multilingual spaces
- Experience working with federal contracts and grant deliverables
- Experience analyzing data using Excel
- Understanding of social and racial justice issues impacting agriculture in the South
- Understanding of basic farm financial management processes
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record and access to a reliable vehicle
- Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work with corresponding days off
- Ability to travel regionally for on-farm visits, meetings, conferences and workshops, approximately 10-15% of the time
Pay commensurate with experience in the range of $35,000 to $45,000 annualized with benefits including: Workers comp, health insurance reimbursement account, paid time off, professional development funds
Submit resume (eom.lastname.res) and cover letter (eom.lastname.cl) to email@example.com with the subject line: “eom.[your last name].”
Let us see your personality and passion!
Deadline: August 20th, 2017